Friday, December 10, 2004

Memorable quotes from Shane Falco

The Replacements, the 2000 movie starring Keanu Reeves as quarterback Shane Falco, looks like a shallow, cliche-filled soon-to-video flick, but it comes up with some snappy, memorable dialogue. Three quotes I especially like:

Shane Falco responds to Coach Jimmy McGinty (Gene Hackman), and his Washington Sentinels teammates, that his greatest fear is "quicksand".

You're playing and you think everything is going fine, but then one thing goes wrong and another and another and you try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. 'Til you can't move, can't breathe, cause you're in over your head. Like quicksand.


The quicksand metaphor pretty well sums up how I felt during my spectacularly failed "court" (her word) of Traci *****, ironically also in 2000 while I finished out my enlistment in Korea. Everything I tried to do in order to bring Traci closer to me seemed to make things worse between us. "Quicksand" is not a good feeling when the girl you're repulsing with every action is the same girl who you feel is your wife, in destiny if not formally.

This Falco quote reflects how I felt as a soldier, usually during training, and whenever else I've been part of a good team:
Gentlemen, it's been an honor to share the field of battle with you.

And, of course, the famous Shane Falco quote, in the huddle:
I know you're tired. I know you're hurting. And I wish I could say something that was classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory [pause for effect] lasts forever.

If I ever lead soldiers again, I need to bookmark that one.

- Eric

Update July 18, 2005 : I took out Traci's last name in deference to an anonymous commenter who is bothered that I refer to her at all. I hadn't thought about it, but it's probably appropriate that I not state her last name anyway.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're crazy!

1/08/2005 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

--> << Home

<< Newer
Older >>
HOME

Powered by Blogger