Friday, March 20, 2009

Topol in Fiddler on the Roof and Lisey's Story

Last Sunday, March 15, I was lucky enough to watch 73-year-old Topol as Tevye in his American farewell tour of Fiddler on the Roof, even if it was from the 4th tier of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark, NJ. The opportunity came as an unexpected surprise. Topol could have stayed seated in street clothes and flubbed his lines and I still would have considered myself fortunate to be in his audience. That said, I couldn't help but compare his classic portrayal in the 1971 movie to the stage performance. The movie Tevye is more expressive and exuberant, while the Topol I watched live was older, more wooden and skinnier. But Topol can still move with energy and his voice is the same. He is still Tevye. In addition, the travel time from my home was only an hour by PATH and I discovered that Seton Hall Law School is close to the train station. Things that make you go hmm.

Right now, I'm reading the Stephen King novel Lisey's Story. In it, he shows off his usual mix of dramatic stereotypes and perceptive insight. What Scott got from Lisey . . . that's what I want, what I need, what I've looked for, tried for and have not found. How do I find it . . . and her? Where do I need to look? What do I need to do? The story supports the notion that I made the right choice with Traci by laying bare my heart and trying for a full relationship, even though she chose against it.

Eric

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

--> << Home

<< Newer
Older >>
HOME

Powered by Blogger