Saturday, October 21, 2006

Army Strong promotional ad

Back in 1997, I joined the 'Be All You Can Be' Army. While I was in (1999? 2000? I don't remember exactly the year), the slogan was changed to 'Army of One'. We didn't like it, because at its core, the Army operates as a team. In fact, we're taught in Basic that to be labeled an 'individual' is a pejorative, yet here the Army comes out with a slogan elevating the individual. Idiotic. The slogan's just been changed to 'Army Strong'. Yeah, 'Army of One' sucked, but I don't know, man . . . Hulk Smash? See the ad.



Don't get me wrong. I'm not nostalgically enamored with 'Be All You Can Be', but 'Army of One' was a big-time dud and against what the Army is about. I'm not sure 'Army Strong' is much better.

I like 'America's Army' or extended out, 'America's Army, of the people, by the people, for the people'.

Eric

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with your assessment on Army Strong. I think it was a great recruiting change, but even Army of One targeted the appropriate demographic. You have to look at the teenagers over the past several years. The most recent graduates showed an appeal for belonging while today's graduates are more like the Army demographics you joined. They believe in becoming Army Strong, but they need the confidence that comes from someone getting them there rather than doing it themselves which "Be All You Can Be" brought to other age groups. Your comments indicate you understand soldiers and missions change, so why would we also stay entrenched in an idea that no longer works for the current situation.

3/10/2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger SSGHolt said...

To add to what Dan said, you said that you were disgusted by the "Army of ONE" slogan because of how it elevated the individual over the team. While the new slogan is a bit subtle, more than any slogan for the Army I am familiar with it suggests that Army strength is not individual strength, stressing the teamwork aspect, while also suggesting that Army strength does augment the individual.

11/25/2008 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

--> << Home

<< Newer
Older >>
HOME

Powered by Blogger