Sunday, October 24, 2004

Just one excellent milblog - www.mudvillegazette.com

As a former soldier and member of the extended US military community, the "milblogs" by our men and women serving Over There make for addictive reading. They are the heroes of my generation.

And never mind the math test and poli sci mid-term I have to study for. ; )

I strongly recommend the milblog Mudville Gazette by Greyhawk and his wife Mrs Greyhawk (of course). From Greyhawk's weblog profile:
The Mudville Gazette is the on-line voice of an American warrior, who prefers to see peaceful change render force of arms unnecessary. Until that day he stands fast with those who struggle for freedom, strike for reason, and pray for a better tomorrow.

From the Mudville Gazette, a must-read. The Combat Life Saver is a first-hand account of a VBED (Vehicle-Borne Explosive Device - a car bomb) attack, posted October 21st by milblogger Questing Cat:
The army started a training system, a system to try and back up the combat medic. They call it the Combat Life Saver, or CLS. A line soldier given just that extra bit of first aid training, so that if the situation calls, and there is no medic handy they can leap into action, and administer the most desperately needed care. Many soldiers, in the early stages of their careers are pretty much required to go to the class, learn things like how to administer and IV, get first aid and assess a casualty rehashed to them. I first went in the National Guard, and it taught me a lot of handy things. Things you hope never to use.

My day started off so normal. I was attached as security detail to the civil affairs team as they toured the little town nearby and see how Ramadan was changing things. We walked the streets, talked to some people. Very rarely does any shit go down in this town. It is quiet and we like it that way. Our officers were in a meeting with local leaders, and after making the rounds we went into the building and started to relax a bit. Our Bradleys were outside pulling security, lots of ING around. I took off my Kpod and tried to get a little bit of air.

You want to know the most terrible moment of a disaster? It is that split second when it begins. When all of a sudden there is a bright flash, that is nothing special except that it is the big break with reality to the fucked up world you are about to begin. A split second of bright light, and for the briefest second, there is no thought in your head, everything in you braces for....for what?

Glass and sound rain down on me...I know it was bad, I have NEVER heard anything so loud and light debris is falling all around me. I get off the stairs, and get my fucking helmet on. wouldn't it fucking figure, walk around ALL THE FUCKING TIME WITH THAT THING ON AND THE ONE TIME I MIGHT REALLY HAVE NEEDED IT, I WAS RELAXING.

What happened?
IED? VBED? Mortar? Rocket? [read the rest]

I was qualified as a Combat Life Saver. I hoped I would never have to find out how well I learned the course, and luckily I never did.

- Eric

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

--> << Home

<< Newer
Older >>
HOME

Powered by Blogger